Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pumpkin Carving: Take 2

We are not easily daunted around The House of Halpin, so the fact that we did not succeed at the easy task of pumpkin carving at our first attempt had me bothered. After carving the tops off of seemingly millions of pumpkins for our church's carving event, I realized a few things:

We did not have a the right type of pumpkin to carve before. (Thanks also to Family Snippets for pointing this out to me. I'd never have known!)

We did not have proper carving tools.

We remedied both of these and set out to try, try again.

We found a Mickey Mouse template to lay on top of our pumpkin so we could carve a cute face. While I worked on carving the front, O was hard at work gouging little holes into the back of the pumpkin. Kept us both busy!


Meanwhile, Nosy entertained himself by playing with pumpkin innards.

He also assisted me in washing and drying the pumpkin seeds to try the whole roasting thing again.


We could hardly wait to see what our glowing pumpkin would look like. Alas, it was about 10:00am with the sunlight streaming through all of our windows. Never fear! We all paraded into my closet with Mickey leading the way.

The three of us were thrilled with how our pumpkin turned out, front and back! However, as we proudly showcased it to Daddy, he mistakened Mickey for a pig. A pig?! I guess I can see it...if the big circles (Mickey's ears) were piggy eyes and Mickey's face was a piggy snout. So I'm no artist, but we all enjoyed ourselves!

Hooray! We did it! We can carve a pumpkin!

Now that a few days have passed, we are learning about decay. More on that to come...(I know you can hardly wait!)

5 comments:

cheryl said...

How adorable is that? What a fun idea to stick a template on there. We need to get some better carving tools ourselves.
Love how you captured the fun process.

Deann Black said...

Yeah for the Halpins. I am glad you figured out the problem. I baked my seeds with 2Tsp olive oil and just put salt and pepper on it to taste...they were chewy, but that is what everyone has told me.

Anonymous said...

Great job! It looks like Mickey to me!

Kara said...

A pig?! Really?! I just don't see it. Love the pumpkin and I am glad that you guys tackled it again. I don't ever remember carving a pumpkin in my life, so we sat this year out. I will have to study up for next year because I don't want my boy to miss out on this fun adventure! Great job!

Andrea said...

Fabulous! You 3 did a great job. So fun to see the pictures of a very successful project.