Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ode to Eric Carle

Mr. Carle has gone and done it again: written and illustrated a book my kids can not hear enough times. It is such a great story about a boy who just wants a pancake for breakfast, but his mom requires that he gather all the ingredients from around the farm before they start cooking. He does everything from grind the wheat to churn the butter, foreign practices to my kids who assume food grows at Walmart. In honor of Pancakes, Pancakes, I decided to serve breakfast for dinner to celebrate the making of a pancake. Because of the season, we fancied it up a bit by trying pumpkin pancakes.

Two eager helpers

Noah had me laughing as he watched O crack this egg. He could hardly wait to see just what was inside the hard, cold, white shell.

O mixed the dry ingredients while Nosy was in charge of the wet. What master chefs I have!

Before long though, the mixing became more like playing.


The pancakes were delicious, the best I have ever had, so good that I neglected snapping a picture before dinner. Our whole meal was scrumptious and will be repeated soon: pumpkin pancakes topped with maple syrup, salty hash browned potatoes, crisp bacon and scrambled eggs.


We reheated the pancakes in the toaster the next morning, and they were every bit as great as the night before. (Not sure why Owie is "hooking his horns" first thing on a Friday morning...)
Here's the recipe for the pancakes if anyone wants to give them a try. I think they'd be even heartier with whole wheat flour. Yum!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we loved that book, too!

i need to make those pancakes. nummy!

chrys

Erica said...

I want some of those pancakes!!