Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Leviticus 19:18 and I John 4:7

"...Love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD." (Lev 19:18)

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God." (I John 4:7)

We are attempting to inscribe this concept on our hearts in very practical, meaningful ways. How does it hit home in The House of Halpin? One way is with Gummy Vites, of course!

Let me explain.
Vitamin time is a very favorite, anticipated time in our day. The Boys LOVE these delish bits of sweetness that just happen to be packed full of nutrients for their little bodies. We have two types that are taken each day, with two lids to top two bottles. These lids double as serving platters for the delectable vitamins. So to instill in our kids a bit of self-control and putting Brother above himself, one Boy each day plates the vitamins and serves his Brother before chowing down himself. This was challenging at first, especially for little Noah. But now they both cheerfully and willingly place the vitamins on a plate/lid and trot it over to serve Brother prior to indulging in their first bite.

Here's what it looks like:
Noah setting out Owie's vites

Passing out the yummy bites

O gets Nosy's vitamins ready

Serving No-nos

Noah is so grateful! (signing "Thank you!")

So at least this is a start towards one Brother putting the other above himself. We have a long way to go with much harder issues ahead, I am sure. But they are learning, and they make me so proud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so GOOD! I have to keep telling myself that Noah is a bit older than Luke to keep it all in perspective.

Then I go read Chrys' blog and remember that Truett is YOUNGER than Luke.

I don't know how you guys do it, but you are doing such a wonderful job:-)

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of what you are teaching these precious boys! Keep up the good work.

cheryl said...

Way to use those teachable moments! You're such an inspiration. ;o)

Chrys and Mike said...

what a good momma. love it!

chrys