Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Great Spice Pumpkin Debacle

I have been brushing up on my Fall craft ideas, filling my brain with super fun things to do with the Boys. One of the wonderful ideas I read about was a spice pumpkin. It sounded so simple! Carve out the bottom of the pumpkin; scoop out the inside; decorate with pretty carved shapes; pack the inside with nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon; place pumpkin over a lit candle. It would not only look festive, but the whole house would smell like homemade pumpkin pie. The Boys and I carefully selected the two most perfect pumpkins and headed home so excited to start our craft.

Owie gave the pumpkins a bath before we started.

I know I have carved pumpkins in my past. I have a vague recollection of carving a pumpkin with my family when I was younger. As I grew older, we opted out of celebrating Halloween, so I honestly can say it must be at least 22 years since I last had a knife in a pumpkin. I surely did not remember how incredibly HARD it was just to cut out the bottom of the pesky pumpkins. I must be weaker than I thought! I was dripping sweat from my efforts. We decided to wait until Daddy could lend a helping hand...and a bigger bicep.

Daddy to the rescue!! He had the bottoms carved out of our pumpkins in no time!

Owen had fun scooping out the innards. I seriously was feeling queasy from all the slimy ickiness, and I do not quease easily. It was pretty disgusting.

Roasting pumpkin seeds. The fruit of my slimy labor! I love a salty pumpkin seed snack. I am not sure where we went wrong here, but even the pumpkin seeds did not live up to my expectations.

Since I was pretty frustrated with the whole pumpkin experience by this time, we decided to wait until the next morning to carve our pretty shapes.

We gathered all of our supplies: knives, spices, dump truck. We're ready!

Yeah. I am not sure why I thought it would be easier carving the sides of the pumpkin than it was the bottom, but I was wrong. I could barely get my knife in the pumpkin. Disappointment abounded in all three of us.

We ended up just coloring on the pumpkins with markers. What a let down. Oh well. Maybe we need to invest in a set of proper carving tools...or stick to pumpkin in a can.


More Fall crafts to come. Hopefully they will go better...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i keep putting it off, too! it just doesn't sound fun to me. my mom even gave us this fancy pumpkin carving tool kit so i may have to buck up and do it. but i dread the slimy part. ugh.

am i a debbie downer or what??

chrys

cheryl said...

What a bummer...by looking at the pumpkins, they look like "pie pumpkins." I wonder if they're just a little too thick! They tend to be harder than some other types. Also, it might work out just perfectly, but I'm wondering how you would put a candle in it w/o carving the top. I know I've carved many pumpkins and forgotten to take the "lid" off after I lit the candle. The top of the pumpkin gets all burnt and nasty. Just a few thoughts, in case you decide to try again. ;o)
The concept of this is really fun though!

Colleen said...

i am so impressed with all your great crafts..I think craft..what's a craft??!! I think our extent of craft involves smearing paint over the table, coloring, and the occasional stirring of some type of batter mix. Ha!