Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Harvest Breads: The Good & the Bad

Even the faintest chill in the air turns on the baking mood in me! I love to have the house warm and yummy smelling. And I never have a problem finishing off the sweets laying around the house. I am up to the challenge! This week, we had a horrible and a great baking experience.

We had friends scheduled to come over for a play date, and I had the wonderful idea of popping a loaf of homemade zucchini bread in the oven for us to snack on while they were here. While Noah napped, O and I took turns shredding up a few zucchini and mixing together all the yummy ingredients. Oh, the house smelled delicious when our friends arrived, and my mouth was watering with anticipation! When the timer went off, I pulled the lovely loaf from the oven and allowed it cool for a bit before slicing into its warm goodness. The inside was completely RAW! The gooey batter oozed all over the counter. This could not be right! I quickly turned the oven back on and baked the bread a bit longer, but by the time the middle was done, the outside was burnt to a crisp. I was so embarrassed not to have a treat to offer my friends and disappointed after I was so looking forward to a slice of warm zucchini bread. We will have to have another attempt soon!


At the end of the week (I washed O's shirt in between, I promise!), the Boys and I tried a new recipe for pumpkin bread, my favorite of the harvest breads! In the middle of the loaf is a sweet swirl of cream cheese greatness.

I think the Boys had more fun cleaning up after me than helping!



It turned out SO YUMMY! I will definitely make this recipe again and again!

So you win some, you lose some, but baking with the kids continues to be one of my favorite activities. Well, the baking and the eating! My waist line may be suffering, but my mouth is very happy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we've been eating pumpkin zucchini bread around here. i'm excited to be sneaking some green veggies into oliver's diet... http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Zucchini-Bread/Detail.aspx?prop31=4

chrys

Deann Black said...

Sounds yummy...I think we will try this one.