Friday, July 11, 2008

My New BFF


I never knew exactly how invaluable the oven timer could be.

Sure, I realize it's saved many batches of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from charring and nicely bubbled up more than its fair share of casseroles, but who knew it would save the day, day in and day out?

It all started with the FlyLady, who cleans in 15 minute increments. I figure that I can suffer through almost anything for 15 minutes, right? So I started cleaning and sorting by relying on the timer.

Then I realized I could make picking up toys a super fun game, just by setting the oven timer. The Boys and I gather around the oven. The Boys alternate pushing the beeping buttons to set 15 minutes on the timer, and we are off, racing madly around the house to see who can pick up the most toys in 15 minutes. It's unbelieveable just how much we can get done in that short time span. O has so much fun that he often asks to set the timer for another 15 minutes!

It gets better...
Here is where our true friendship was sealed...

My Guys have had some trouble sharing lately. We learned a great verse about how sharing pleases God, we talk until we are blue in the face about loving each other by sharing, we try to enforce fair turn-taking, but as any Mommy of toddlers knows, it all flies out the window the second one Boy covets what the other has. Hmmmm, I thought. Maybe my new BFF could help me out.

And so, when it came to throwing punches over our wooden lawn mower the other day, I brought both Boys to the kitchen. "O gets the mower for 5 minutes. When the timer beeps, it's Nosy's turn for the next 5 minutes. Okay?" Eager nods while chubby fingers set the timer. I was anxious to see what would happen when the timer went off.

Beep, beep, beep!

Owen actually ran over to Noah to hand over the mower. WHAT?!

We set the timer for Nosy's 5 minutes together.

Beep, beep, beep!

Before the beeping was even done, Noah was at O's side, cheerfully sharing the mower.

Could it really be this easy? This tactic has worked for two weeks now. I am sure it will wear off eventually, but for the moment, my BFF and I are living in peace!

2 comments:

Erica said...

I love the timer too! In fact we used it today to get Clayton's room cleaned up.

Kara said...

I LOVE Flylady!! I found her a couple of months ago and have been FLYing ever since! My house and my attitude have never been better. I am glad to find other flybabies out there!