Monday, July 21, 2008

Confession

I can't believe I am even typing this, revealing a deep, dark secret of The House of Halpin, but my need for prayer outweighs my embarrassment at this point.

Today Owie turns 3 1/2...and he still sucks on his beloved paci.
(I know, I know. What kind of Mom am I?)

We have tried to break the habit several times but to no avail.

The time has definitely, finally come. Even I recognize he is way too old to suck on a paci. We all just love what little sleep we get around here.

Anyway, tonight's the night we pull the plug. Please PRAY for us, Friends! I know in the course of our lives this will just be a tiny blip, but today it seems like a very big deal. Jeremy is gone to night school, so I will be dealing with the turmoil, the screaming, the anger all alone.

O knows tonight's the night, so at least he will not be taken by surprise. This morning I asked him how it felt to be 3 1/2. He responded, "Like a Big Boy that does not need a paci anymore!"

I'll let you know how it goes. And thanks for the prayers!

6 comments:

Erica said...

I will be praying for you...you will make it through.

Sundee said...

Oh, I soooo get it, Rachel. Reece is sooo addicted to his paci at naps and bedtime. I can't IMAGINE him going to bed w/o it.
I JUST got rid of it in the car. I'm planning for pulling it at 3 years, but could sooo easily be right where you are.

I will pray for you all tonight. I've seen a glimpse of the will that little boy has.
You can do it, Owie!!!!

Chrys and Mike said...

you can DO IT, o!!!

chrys

Libby said...

You will be in our prayers too...from one sleep deprived family to another! With both of our kids it went better than I expected and there is no need to feel ashamed that he still has it. There are so many reasons it is hard to say goodbye!

Blessings!

Libby

cheryl said...

Praying and I don't envy you! We've been there too.

Kara said...

Father,
Please be with O and family tonight as they tackle a new challange of getting rid of the paci. Give Owen a peace about being a "big boy" and replace the comfort that the paci gives him with the strength to let it go. We know that You are there in all things, big and small.
In Your Name, Amen

You are in my thoughts! We will be there in just a couple of short years!!