Wednesday, July 16, 2008

As Time Goes On

I have been super sentimental lately. It seems like time is going by way too fast all of a sudden and the Boys are getting more mature every day. This makes me sad. I love the baby/toddler stage so much, and even though it is really exciting to watch them grow and learn and develop, I still wish they could stay cuddly babies just a bit longer. I love how they are right now so much!

This weekend, Jeremy and I took the kids to Amazing Jakes for all you can eat pizza with the rides thrown in for free, where it became apparent that Owie is now a "big, brave Boy" (in his own words).

There were three rides for little guys: a carousel, a train, and a flying car ride. The first two, both O and Nosy loved, accompanied by a parent for moral support, if needed. Unfortunately, upon inspection, we realized the flying car ride would have been a rather tight squeeze for us bigger bottomed folks. As we were walking away to find something else fun to do, O expressed his need to ride this ride. We explained that he would have to go solo. After mulling it over, he decided he thought he was big enough to ride alone.

After waiting for eons in a line full of sweaty, sticky, pushy kids, O's turn finally arrived. I fully expected him to chicken out, especially when he saw he had to ride with a little girl he did not know. His face had concern and anxiety written all over it. But as soon as the cars lifted off into flight, the hugest grin spread over his sweet face. He was loving it!! And as his car started bouncing up and down (and making scary creaking sounds that really worried Mommy!) his face brightened even more. So brave! Oh, how proud I am of him for trying something different and potentially scary all on his own.

But what really warmed my heart, made me glow from the inside out was this:
Every time he rounded the corner, as soon as he could view the crowd of parents, O started searching for his Mommy. When our eyes met, he would beam and start waving furiously, excited to see that I was watching and proud. Every time. Round and round. Oh, I love that Boy. Such a tiny bit of baby still remains while big boy is busy taking over. For now he still desires my approval and my time and some snuggles are still acceptable. Even these things will be gone way before I'm ready.


I cherish these days, for they are fleeting.


1 comment:

cheryl said...

So sweet.
I agree whole heartedly about this stage!