Saturday, August 16, 2008

Trek

The Boys and I were up and at 'em quite early on Saturday morning. The weather was perfect, our tummies were rumbling, and the jogging stroller was begging to be taken out. Our destination? The donut store! How do we get there? The Boys have noticed that I am prone to getting lost, even in my own neighborhood, so I put Owie in charge of directions. We had to pass three landmarks before we would arrive at the donut store (Dora the Explorer style!). First, we would pass the elementary school; next cross the long bridge; and thirdly, cross a busy street. (If I had planned this out better, we would have crafted a map together ahead of time so that O would have something to hold and get the map-making experience. Next time!) Off we set!

First landmark:

The neighborhood elementary school

Before long, we came upon the long bridge. The Boys were getting restless, so I let them get down from the stroller to stretch their legs and explore the bridge a bit.



Nosy wiped out, as Nosy is prone to do. Poor, poor Nosy.

But he's okay! Off and running again!

Finally, we arrived at the busy street. We had a great lesson about crosswalks and stoplights, general street-crossing safety. Both Boys were eager to push the crosswalk button...over and over again!

None to soon, we reached our destination: the strip center that contained the donut store.

But which store was it exactly? We could smell the donuts (Ahhh, the smell of grease and sugar in the morning! Nothing can quite compare!), but nary a donut could be spotted. After leaving a nose smudge trail on every window in sight, we finally found the right store.

Each kiddo got to select the donut of their choice. Now this is a significant treat at our house where the normal donut consumption is limited to half of a chocolate glazed donut before church on Sundays. So many to choose from!

O hardly even had to think about it. The strawberry pink one was calling his name. Nosy, however, selected a chocolate eclair. Hmmm. I vetoed his choice due to his lack of information and his poor eating skills. I had visions of that gooey, fudge-y, pudding-y filling oozing its way all over my No-nos. Instead, I steered him towards a chocolate glazed one with sprinkles. He was thrilled! After choosing a few for Daddy (who was working so hard mowing the lawn!), we headed back out to our stroller.

I think they are in love....

Noah ate his donut from the top down: first the sprinkles went, then the chocolate icing, and lastly the doughy donut itself. He was a mess, but I have never witnessed such passionate eating! At one point on the walk home, I looked down over the stroller at my sweet guys. Owie was picking sprinkles off of Noah's cheek and eating them! I had a good laugh! I guess we shouldn't let any of that sugary greatness go to waste!

3 comments:

Deann Black said...

Why waste a good thing! Love the lastest stories, especially 19T:)

cheryl said...

Super cute way to capture your adventure! What a fun mommy you are! ;o)
I especially liked the "nose smudging, and sprinkle off the cheek" parts!

Kara said...

So cute!! I love donuts, so I wish I had been there for your adventure!