Friday, August 29, 2008

A Little on the Trashy Side

I know it should bring a blush to my cheeks to admit this little known fact, but I am not above retrieving someone's trash and proudly dubbing it treasure. Not to say that I dig through strangers' trash, but if something intriguing is set out by the curb, it does pique my interest. Somewhat to Jeremy's embarrassment, I have done this on several occasions, but today I did it on behalf of my children.

My Dad and I frequently walk through a ridiculously well-to-do neighborhood about a mile from my house on our exercise circuit. Today, trash day around these parts, a brightly colored object caught my eye. Upon closer inspection and trash pile rearrangement, we uncovered a table-top Foosball table. What a find! It was practically brand new and just begging to be a part of The House of Halpin. Owie could hardly contain his excitement as Dad and I discussed the pros and cons of lugging it home. The pros (mainly being the smiles on my Boys' expectant faces) won out, so we rigged up the stroller to help us haul it home. It did not become embarrassing until the owner of the house, home from a very early morning outing, passed us in their car as we rounded the cul-de-sac, their trash obviously protruding from our stroller. Oh well...

Once we got our treasure safely in the house, the Boys and I gave it a thorough scrubbing and got down to the business of playing Foosball! And even though he may hesitate admitting it, Jeremy is a fan of the table too.

2 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

ha! i think you're a little on the thrifty side! great find.

chrys

cheryl said...

Nice find. Looks like fun!