Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Puppeteer

Yaya gave Owie a bag of fun for his Happy Half Birthday: the makings of a set of felt animal puppets. We had so much fun assembling the first two together!

The first step was to stitch the two main body pieces of felt together with a large plastic needle. I was amazed that O seemed to know just what to do and at the extreme patience he exhibited as he wound the yarn in and out, in and out.

Arranging the body parts before we glued them on.

What's this? Oh, the trunk!

It goes right here!

Trumpeting elephant noise
(not sure how one would type out that sound phonetically!)

O used all his strength to help the glue to stick really well.

Unfortunately, all Owie's strength was not quite enough to hold that elephant together. We pulled the hot glue gun out the next day to finish the job. I know what you're thinking: A three year old and a hot glue gun...not a good combo. But O was so excited to try it, and he is a pretty responsible, level-headed kid, and I wasn't going to leave his side. He felt so grown up and proud as he placed drops of hot glue just right.

Having a chat with his newly made friend.


Now that we kind of knew what we were doing, we jumped in to make the zebra. We started with all that stitching again.

This puppet was even more fun, seeing as how we got to get out the gloppy white paint!

Owen is so proud of his craftsmanship!

Two new friends!

The puppets are turning out so cute that I am planning on displaying them in a shadow box in O's room when he is done socializing with them.

6 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

they did turn out darling!!

chrys

Erica said...

Those are so cute

cheryl said...

What fun! They turned out so cute.

Deann Black said...

I love them and O's sense of concentrating so hard to make them just perfect!

Anonymous said...

Ok....Grant, Preston & Connor's Honey wants to know where you got the puppets from. I see great times ahead at Honey & Papa's house!! Deana

Kara said...

So much fun! I hope I am half as exciting when my little one gets old enough. I think I am too worried about making messes...I need to lighten up.