Saturday, August 23, 2008

Donut-Making 101

I guess the Boys and I have been in donut-y kind of moods lately, because when I saw this idea on a blog I read, I tucked it away for future reference...and pulled it out on Saturday morning. While Daddy caught a few extra zzz's, the Boys and I fried up a few.
(Do check out the link. Her pics are amazingly better than my pitiful ones. Of course, hers lack the darlingness that can only be O and Nosy!)

Mixing the exactly perfect ratio of cinnamon to sugar. A lot of taste-testing was required at this stage. Yum!

We cut the center out of canned buttermilk biscuits with a medicine cup. It worked great and was easy for Owie to use!

No-nos thought it might be a good idea to sample the donut hole he had been playing with while O and I worked.

He did not enjoy it one bit!

Look at all our delicious donuts-to-be arranged just right!

I had never fried anything before in my life, so this was an adventure. After the biscuits bobbled around in a vat of hot oil for a minute or two, they were ready to flip. Next came a powerful blot. Hopefully we blotted off a couple of fat grams! A roll in the cinnamon-sugar, and they were ready for consumption! Here is the finished product! They were finger-lickin' good!! (Next time, I think I will try powdered sugar too!)

Bring on the sugar rush!

4 comments:

Erica said...

Yumm-o!! We made these all the time as a kid.

Chrys and Mike said...

we grew up eating these. i don't think i've made them in 25+ years, tho. back then the deep fryer stayed on the counter and was used just about every day. lovely. :)

yours are cute and look delicious!

so fun to see you yesterday! can't wait to catch up!

chrys

Libby said...

You just made Henry's day. He'll love trying these out! Thanks for the great idea!

Sarah said...

we are SO stealing this idea!! Yummy!