Thursday, September 11, 2008

Clang, Clang, Clang Went the Trolley

O and I have been reading a great children's classic by Virginia Lee Burton about Maybelle the Cable Car, a cable car in San Fransisco. O loved hearing about this cable car's grand adventures...which led me to think about the trolley that runs in downtown Dallas. I have lived here my whole life and see the trolley pass by often, but never have I jumped on for a ride.

And so, after our great time at the library, we picked Jeremy up at work and embarked on the most touristy thing I have ever done in Dallas. We rode one of the McKinney Avenue Streetcars! It was by far the most fun, free, Dallas thing I have ever done!
We hopped on the streetcar at Cityplace. A round trip ride lasts 40 minutes, 20 minutes uptown and 20 minutes back again. For a long time, we were the only passengers, so we enjoyed some good conversation with our driver, Mark.

Our trolley car was an original Dallas car dating back to 1913, and it runs on original tracks that were laid in the 1800's! They dubbed it "The Green Dragon." Rather odd, since it is mostly red, but okay. During the period from the 1950's, when the cars were retired, until the 1980's, when they were restored, The Green Dragon was used as a hay barn.

All the windows were open, allowing in a wonderful breeze and the clear clang, clang of the trolley bell. I so enjoyed watching O "fly" his arm out the window, just soaking up the ride.

Nosy had a great time too, although I think the highlight for him was when I passed out the Curious George fruit snacks.

We loved having Daddy ride with us, although the reason he could ride was that he took the afternoon off to rest his poor sprained ankle. Right after the ride, I drove him home and ordered him to the couch to rest the remainder of the afternoon.

Mark, our reluctantly photographed trolley captain.

I would highly recommend this family fun-filled activity! What a memory we made!!

1 comment:

Chrys and Mike said...

what fun!!! i can't wait to do this!

chrys