Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Assessment

In anticipation of educating Owen a bit more formally at home this year, I decided to see exactly how much he actually knows. We started with letters. Since he is reading a little, I know he recognizes all the letters, uppercase and lowercase, and can produce the phonetic sound for each. But we have not practiced writing very much, outside of his name. O and I sat down with a big bag of markers to see what he could do. (He wrote each letter himself without any help from me.)
He at least attempted every letter. A few are kind of sketchy, especially 'z,' 's' and 'k,' but overall I am one proud Mommy!

Numbers are quite a different story. We haven't tried writing them (except for '1'), but I know he can only recognize up to '10.' We definitely need to work on that!

I am so super excited to dive in to teaching preschool! We have a stack of shiny new books, a box of early readers, and craft supplies galore, plus tons of fun ideas for Bible class. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

cheryl said...

Are you sure this kid was born premature? He sure is making up for it now.
You have a little genius boy on your hands there. ;o) I think he's going to keep his momma on her toes...no worries though, I'm sure she'll always be one step ahead.
WAY TO GO O!!!

Chrys and Mike said...

LOVE IT!

AWESOME job, O!!!

chrys