Sunday, March 01, 2009

Our Bodies

Okay, remember when I said awhile back that I needed to mix it up a bit at The House of Halpin? Mix it up, I did. And we had so much fun that we had to put a stop to it!

We started a unit on our bodies. It was born out of boredom and a roll of butcher paper. We traced, we cut out food and bones, we glued, we researched and read books. It was marvelous. It even held Nosy's attention for long periods of time. We made it through the digestive and skeletal systems.

Around this same time, an idea for summer school was forming in my cousin Libby's mind. A couple of my cousins, spread out across the country, have created a little co-op for the summer. Each of us is going to focus on one or two units of study, plan it all out and then share it with the others. All the kids will be doing the same projects and learning the same things. Not only will it save us moms a whole lot of work, it will also give all the kids something in common when they meet at the Family Reunion. I am so excited about this group effort! My cousins have so many creative ideas that I can't wait to tap into!

Anyway, because my Guys were enjoying the unit on bodies so very much, I decided to put a halt to it for now. I will perfect the lesson plan and come up with oodles of ideas to be started up again this summer.

So here's a sneak peak, Libby and Erin!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are precious!
I got a fun book at the library - Kitchen Table Play and Learn (Copley) that has a bunch of fun themed units. (not that you appear to need any help at all, but if you get stumped.)

Your summer school sounds like a great idea, so fun :)

Deann Black said...

You should be a nurse educator:)

Libby said...

I can't wait! You are a teaching inspiration...

cheryl said...

I can't imagine anyone having better ideas than you. ;o) Can't wait to see what all you do this summer. What a great idea!

thesanders said...

Can't wait!