Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Scripture Memory

A part of each day at The School of Halpin consists of Scripture memory. We (and I say "we" because I am learning the verses right alongside O) work on memorizing verses for AWANAs as well as larger passages of Scripture on our own. I believe there is no greater knowledge than the knowledge of God. It is of gargantuan importance to me that my kids have an intimate love relationship with their Savior and be equipped to handle life's situations in a godly manner. By writing God's word on their hearts, especially at an early age, I pray I am guiding them down a path towards Him. For awhile, I was focusing so much on academics with O that I lost the focus of why I want to school him at home. I want to instill a love for Christ in him, something he may not get taught at school. So we are finding a new balance between academia and good ol' Bible learnin'. My favorite part is the conversations we have while learning the verses: what the symbolism means, how much God cares for us, how He expects us to behave, etc. It is much more than just rote memorization. I hope O is really learning about the character of the God we serve.

Here is a video of the first Psalm O has memorized. (I have a much better quality, much cuter video on our video camera but I can not for the life of me figure out how to post it.)

Memorizing this Psalm was fairly easy. Our next endeavor, Psalm 121, is getting the best of both of us! But we will get it eventually. Today we even resorted to composing songs to try to help us remember it better. I am definitely challenged by all this memorization!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so in awe of O's God given talent to memorize scripture at such a young age. You and Jeremy are training him so well, and I am so thankful for that.

Kara said...

Wow! I would definately be having a harder time that O. That was great!

cheryl said...

Wow O! That was so great. What a wonderful thing that your mommy and daddy are teaching you the most important things at such an early age!
You've inspired me to try some longer verses and passages at our house. Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Great job, O!

Chrys