Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Finally Found It!

During preparation for my Bible Study this week, I stumbled across the verse I have been searching for for so long! Thank You, Lord! It has been bugging me for a couple of weeks. I have felt incredibly convicted of this concept lately, so not being able to locate the verse to support what I knew to be true and biblical was very frustrating!

I Thessalonians 4:11-12
"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders."


For awhile there, I kept the Boys and myself super busy: play dates, library time, lunches out with friends, children's classes, etc, often a couple of things each day. I thought this was the best way to make maximum use of my time each day, to fill it with fun activities out and about. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these things (in fact, we were having a great time!), but I felt that this was not how God would have me use the day He gave me. I was definitely not leading the "quiet life" I feel He is calling me to lead. I have been given the blessing of raising two amazing Boys. I have no idea how long I will be able to spend entire days with them, ingraining on their sweet hearts the things of God, good character traits, love for His people. I want to teach my children these things, and that takes lots of time being quiet together. And so we have slowed our pace a bit. Of course we still love play dates and library time is a must, but we don't over-schedule anymore. We spend quite a bit of time in our playroom at home, minding our own business, learning life lessons by living life together.

4 comments:

Erica said...

you are such a great mom!!

olivia and henry said...

rachel, you are so precious! i loved this post. i have been thinking about this same concept a ton lately...and we have all benefited from slowing down the pace. the funny thing is that i have felt for a while that our pace is so slow, but i was looking at it in the way of commitments that we did not have (ie: school, mother's day out, etc). i have really enjoyed this new pace that the Lord has directed us to...this quiet and simple life. anyways, i LOVED playing with owen today. he is such an amazing little guy. it was such a privilege to hang out with him for the morning!

Chrys and Mike said...

amen, sister! i shared the exact same sentiment with my small group this morning. ordinary days at home are really extraordinary.

good seeing you today, even if just for a minute!

chrys

Anonymous said...

So glad you found it and shared! I'm working on the quiet heart to go w/.

my email is not the one on the ecard
l,b