Thursday, April 17, 2008

Worship


Today I was getting ready in my bathroom, singing a slightly off-key worship song, as I am prone to do. (When I get to heaven, I hope I am blessed with a beautiful voice. I love to sing, loudly and fervently. Unfortunately those around me do not love it quite so much. That's one great thing about kids. They don't know the difference...yet!) Anyhow, I was singing the really old school song called "I Love You, Lord." You know the one...
"I love you, Lord,
and I lift my voice
to worship You.
Oh my soul rejoice."

In comes The O, full of questions about my song.
"What's 'lift my voice mean'? How do I do that?"
"Rejoice? What's that mean?"
"What's a soul?" (Yeah. We're getting to the hard questions now.)
Then came one I could actually answer with scripture:
"What's worship, Mommy?"
Okay! Hold on just a sec. Let me grab my Bible.

Romans 12:1
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship."

And so we chatted about worship, how it is more than just singing God's praises, but that we can worship Him in how we behave. We worship God by obeying Him and following Him. We worship Him by choosing to live a life that pleases Him.

I wondered, "Is O understanding any of this or is it completely over his head?"
I questioned, "Owie, how have you worshipped God today?"
I was amazed by his answer: "I was kind to Noah. Being kind obeys God." (Can you tell we have been drilling kindness into the kid's head for a week now?)

I think he does get it, to a certain extent. But then again, I only get it to a certain extent too, and I've had a relationship with the Lord for 20 years now. May I always have a ready answer to the question, "How have I worshipped God today?"

No comments: