Friday, April 04, 2008

Kazoo

My grandparents in Oregon sent the Boys this wonderful music kit for Christmas. They love it, and band practice is one of our favorite games at The House of Halpin...especially marching band practice...strict formation and all.

The kit has so many things in it: shakers, clackers, a xylophone, and a funny looking instrument we could only assume was a kazoo. No one in our family could figure out how to coax any sort of sound from this instrument. Owie, Daddy and I all blew into it until we were popping blood vessels in our foreheads to no avail. Only silence. For obvious reasons, this lonely instrument was always left discarded when we marched off to our homemade tunes.One day, Nosy-Posy wandered over to the kazoo. He plopped down next to it, examined it for a minute and put it in his mouth. Next, he puffed out his cheeks and let go a good, solid blow.


Lo and behold, a wonderful sound filled the air! Noah figured out just how to play that kazoo, no problem, when none of the rest of us could! It has now become a family favorite, but Noah always gets first dibs on playing the kazoo in our marching band.

1 comment:

AmyB said...

Rachel - your boys are SO sweet! I love your stories...children are so innocent, precious, and candid! I love browsing when I get a chance. If you want "in" on our blog, email Jordan or Andrea (my big sis) for our email address and I'll gladly send you an invite! I still remember some fun times while visiting UMHB. Smile. Amy B.(used-to-be-K).