Friday, September 28, 2007

Flu Shot!

Owen loves to go to visit out pediatrician, especially if the visit is not for him. There is a great boat in the lobby to climb on, fun people to talk to, suckers and stickers for good behaviour. So after ensuring that the visit was for Noah and not for him, he was perfectly happy to spend the morning at the doctor's office. Unfortunately, once we were in the examination room, I was informed that the time had come for the Boys to get their flu shots. Oh no! I had not prepared O for this at all! This was not going to go over well. I explained to him that he would be getting some medicine that would help him to not get sick in the winter time. "Okay Mommy," he said with his characteristic one-shouldered shrug. I am sure he was envisioning Baby Tylenol drops, sugary sweet grape flavoured goodness. No biggy. In walks the nurse with a tray of syringes. Mommy at least had a lumpy throat at the sight. O was up first. The nurse jabbed him in the arm while I hugged him around the chest. He just looked at me with the most pained little face as if to ask, "What are they doing to me?" The nurse applied the band aid and I hugged O some more. The next words out of his sweet mouth: "I do not cry Mommy by-cuz (his new fave word) it only hurt a little bit." Sure enough, not one tear from my brave Boy. (Little Brother hollered so loudly that I am sure they heard him in the next county, but that's another story!)

Showing off his band aid

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I am so impressed O! Will you encourage Hayden when I take him for his flu shot? You are such a brave little boy. I am sure Mommy was just so proud of you!

Love,
Colleen