Saturday, April 11, 2009

New Tradition

This was my very favorite thing to do this Easter. So many activities revolving around the Easter holiday are tons of fun, but it has been hard for me to incorporate the spiritual reason for the holiday into our celebration. How do I explain to a four year old and a two year old the cruelties of crucifixion (without giving them nightmares?!) and the awesome wonder of resurrection when they do not even grasp the concept of death? I try, but it has been hard. When my friend Chrys told me about Resurrection Rolls, I knew this was just the hands on-project I needed to help demonstrate this life-changing miracle that happened so long ago.

(For much better pictures and the recipe, check out this link!)

We started off by reading in Matthew 27 about how Jesus' body was prepared for burial.
Then we rolled our marshmallow, representing our crucified Saviour, in butter (oils).

The next step was to roll our buttery marshmallow around in yummy cinnamon/sugar, symbolizing the spices that were rubbed into Jesus' body.

A crescent roll was the linen that Jesus was lovingly wrapped in. We carefully tucked in each one of our marshmallows until not a bit was peeking out.

We "sealed the tomb" by sprinkling the rest of the butter and cinnamon/sugar over each bundle.

As the rolls baked in the oven, the Boys and I read the rest of the story in Matthew 28:
"The angel said to the women, 'Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he is risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.'"

Sure enough! When we pulled our Resurrection Rolls from the oven, we were amazed to see that each little "tomb" was indeed empty!
Our Jesus marshmallow had leaked right out leaving behind an empty tomb!
The Boys were astounded at the "miracle" that occurred in our oven and it provoked such great questions and conversation throughout the day. Maybe they are beginning to grasp, at least on their own levels, a tiny bit of the awesome sacrifice Christ made for each one of us so many years ago.

I am sad to report that although the making of the rolls was a group effort and enjoyed by all, the eating of the rolls was not. How could a small child not like a buttery, sugary roll? Mama, on the other hand, really thought they were delish and eventually ingested every single one. The pants are a bit tighter this Easter.

Also, something that has absolutely nothing to do with the Resurrection or this post...but notice my darling new dishes! I love them!

5 comments:

Deann Black said...

That is an awesome recipe...I'll have to do that next year:)

cheryl said...

So great. We had a lot of fun with a similar recipe.

Gigi said...

That is amazing! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your photos. Thanks for linking to me. Best wishes with blogging.

MichaelandJaclynn said...

What a fun idea!!