Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Aren't We Urban?

I have a brand new very favorite thing to do:
First Tuesday at the Dallas Museum of Art.

I read about it in the newspaper and decided my Boys could use a bit of culture. (Sadly, I am not very well-rounded. Give me an algebraic equation or a chemical formula and I feel right at home. But art? Music? I am sadly lacking! While homeschooling, I will need to really concentrate on developing these areas in the kids since it does not come naturally to me at all.) Gigi, O, Nosy and I hopped aboard the Dart rail and headed downtown to check it out.

But first? Lunch with Daddy! We caught the trolley, rode to West Village and grabbed a bite at a wonderful brick oven pizza place.

They brought out little globs of pizza dough to entertain the kids while we waited on our pizza. Such a clever idea!

As soon as we arrived at the DMA, we were directed towards a group of kids and moms just walking out the door. "Come join our children's tour of the Nasher Sculpture Center!" Join we did!

The guided tour was terrific, and the tour guide was so child friendly and interactive. Here the Boys are acting "swoopy" like the lines of one of the sculptures.

I love this pic!! It so portrays the Boys' personalities. O is quietly paying attention to the speaker while Nosy entertains himself making goofy faces at my camera.

O is studying another sculpture in the Nasher Center: a pile of white rocks set up in a circle. I don't mean to criticize or anything, but really? It seems like O and Noah could throw something similar together during play time!

After our tour, we headed to the kids area of the museum. What fun we had playing and reading and jumping and learning!

After a bit, I overheard a few moms ask their kids if they were ready to head out for story time. Hey, we love stories! So we tagged along. Am I glad we did! A theatrical group from Ft. Worth was performing Aesop's Fables with puppets. They were amazing! The Boys sat spell bound for over an hour, watching the fables unfold.

When we grew a little restless, we headed to the craft table where little bits of this and that (tape, fuzzy fabric, cardboard, pipe cleaners, sparkles, etc) are always out to spark creativity in the kids. We crafted for awhile before deciding we had better head home for naps. As we left, I spied two more rooms we had completely over-looked exploring! We will definitely have to head back next month!

We trekked back to the train station (which was a bit of a hike after a long day, with no stroller and tired little boy legs) and caught the Dart train home. I felt so urban!

I was very impressed with our whole experience at the DMA! It was so child-friendly and interesting. One day, I hope to actually introduce the kids to the part of the museum that exists beyond the kids' area, but for now, we are having a blast soaking in all that is designated for the kids.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

wow! that looks like so much fun. we might have to try that out sometime. what time was it?
I'm with you on the whole pile of rocks thing. art is so subjective ;-)

chrys said...

i really want to go next time! i've got it on the calendar!

chrys

Libby said...

So fun! I love that picture of Noah too...

Henry mentioned (as a silly idea) that we should make 'Nevada pizzas' the other day. I was thinking that individual 'Colorado pizzas' might be a fun activity for the Colorado unit. Just a thought!

cheryl said...

Wow Rach! You come across some of the neatest things. I so wish we lived closer so we could do some of them together. ;o)
I LOVE the pic of Noah's silly face. Priceless!
Such a fun day, thanks for sharing.