Monday, December 15, 2008

Workin' It

Just look at my little Angel. So sweet and innocent. Don't be fooled by those gorgeous brown eyes that melt the heart. Brother knows how to work it.

Case in point:
It was the coldest day in the history of the world. We had just spent an hour at the doctor's office getting prescriptions for much needed antibiotics, bundled back up and braved the frigidness to visit my favorite place, Walmart Pharmacy. "We will have that ready for you in about an hour," the lady told me. I glanced around. Not a soul was waiting. Seriously? An HOUR? My kids are sick and whiny and cold and crabby and sick. Can't we just jump to the front of the line? Guess not. So we browsed the aisles of Walmart for as long as we could stand it and then headed to the somewhat questionable McDonald's housed inside Walmart. It was way too cold to leave and come back, and we desperately needed those meds! After dragging chicken nugget consumption out as long as I possibly could, I was delighted to see that the hour had passed. Hooray! Pharmacy lady revisited. "I'm sorry. It will be just a little while longer." I almost pitched a fit. But then, Noah was pitching a fit already, and two fits was probably a bit much, even for Walmart pharmacy. So I pulled my cart to the side and tried to think of entertaining games to occupy the Boys. (How much "I spy" can one woman endure?) FORTY-FIVE minutes later, our name was finally called. (An hour and forty-five minutes to pull bottles of medicine off the shelf and put them in a bag!) I paid and was ready to head home for marathon naps. "Coats on, Boys!" That evidently was enough to push sick and tired Nosy over. the. edge. He kicked. He screamed. He threw stuff. Kicked his shoes off and threw them into the aisle where a sweet woman retrieved them for me. It was grand. His best fit ever. People were staring and clucking at me, shooting sympathetic or condemning glances my way. This went on for a very long fifteen minutes before I had his coat on and we were headed to the car, with the promise of disciplinary action to come. As I strapped a screaming Noah in his car seat, he stopped, glanced up at me through his mile long eye lashes, and said so sweetly and cheerfully, "Hi Mommy!" Yeah, the boy knows how to work it alright.

6 comments:

Julianne said...

Those pictures are priceless! Love that story and we love that boy. . .he is too cute!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that second picture. He is soooo cute!

Anonymous said...

fabulous pictures, fabulous story. am i a bad friend for laughing???

i love him!

chrys

cheryl said...

Oh man! I feel for ya! I just go to the CVS drive through, because I can't handle the waiting. ;o) It's annoying to have to go back, but unless they say it will be ready in 15 minutes, I know it's the best option!
Such a cutie pie. Too bad they can be so stinky at times! I'm constantly reminded of how the Lord must feel about us and our stinky attitudes some times too!

Deann Black said...

Seriously...alomost two hours! I am sure he was thinking of you and threw your fit for you:) The pics are priceless. We had a blast visiting with ya'll today! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Colleen said...

oh, poor Rachel! I am loving the pout face though I must admit!