Thursday, December 18, 2008

Our Quite Lame (But We Are Partial to It Anyway) Jesse Project

I have known for months that I wanted to do a Jesse tree with my kids this year. A Jesse tree is another way to count down until Christmas, focusing each night on one of Jesus' ancestors, starting with Creation and finishing with the birth of Christ. I found great devotions on-line for us to do as a family each night before bed during our family worship time. I was super excited to start this tradition that focused on the true reason for the season. But, as with so many things around here, I procrastinated and did not get decorations bought or made, nor did I have a small tree on which to hang the decorations. (My rock star mom friends have done an excellent job, if you'd like to follow their amazing examples: Chrys, Cheryl.) I am almost embarrassed to even post what kind of Jesse project I threw together. I did not want to miss out altogether, especially on the devotions, so thus was born the House of Halpin Jesse chain.

These pictures that coincide with the devotions were provided on-line for the Boys to color.

We made a paper chain counting down the days until Christmas. Each night, we cut out the appropriate picture and attach it to the paper chain after we study the story of the evening.

My favorite part of starting this tradition is reading the true Scripture to the kids out of the actual Bible. I had started reading O passages from the Bible (versus out of a Bible story book) this Fall during our school time and realized just how much he could understand. I want the Boys to be accustomed to the wording of the Bible, and although I still love reading them all of our wonderful Bible story books, for devotions and school, we will be sticking to the real deal from now on.

My goal for next Christmas: Start early enough (like maybe now!) to create wonderful, homey ornaments like these decorations. I love them!

This tradition is definitely a keeper for years to come!

3 comments:

cheryl said...

That's so not lame. Very fun and creative. ;o) And hey, the kids don't have anything to compare it to, so I'm sure they're just as excited as can be and that's all that really matters.
You're the rock star mom! ;o)
Merry Christmas to your sweet family!

Kimberly said...

hey, I'm glad you posted this! The tree was too overwhelming for me but we are going to do a Jesse chain next year! We have a regular paper chain this year but I am not as resourceful as you and did not make that creative leap!

Anonymous said...

Whatever! You did an awesome job! you're such a great momma and those boys are learning so much.

Hug those sweet boys for me. I miss them!

Chrys