Monday, February 18, 2008

Write It on Our Hearts

It is time to change out our Bible memory verse again. I love learning Scripture with my O!

The new verse:
"When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust. I will not be afraid." Psalm 56:3-4


O and I had a great conversation about just what the verse means. I explained how whenever he is afraid he can trust that God is always with him, keeping him safe. I specifically chose this verse to equip O for a new, potentially scary, situation that is coming up this week. He will be left at a new nursery during my Bible Study, a place where he doesn't know anyone. (I've been building up the experience for a week now!) I told him that saying this verse will help him if he feels scared. He replied back that it would not be scary. It would only be fun. So grown up!

I asked him what things did make him afraid:
"Nosy-Posy, because he gets me. He messes up my pat-rens (patterns he makes with his lacing beads)."
"When you go to lunch with your friends and leave me with Daddy." (Funny, especially since he always has a blast with Daddy!)
"Nosy gets my hair." (Noah truly is not all that intimidating.)
The fears of a small boy.


"Are you afraid of anything else, O?"
Thought for a minute...
"No. Just those three things."

Then came the more difficult part of the conversation. O decided that he would trust Noah and me and Daddy too. I tried to convey in simplistic terms how, although I try my very best to be trustworthy, I will still make mistakes sometimes. (I sited an example of a time when I yelled at O and then had to ask his forgiveness). All people will make mistakes but God never makes a mistake. He is perfect and will never let Owie down. O pondered this for a minute and then seriously nodded. Who knows how much of it he actually grasped, but I am sure this is just the first of many conversations we will have as we write this verse on our hearts together. I am just so grateful that O loves to discuss matters of the heart and wants so much to know God. May I always feed O's hunger for Christ, and may I learn from the example of my little Son.




Decorating our verse poster

All hung up and ready to memorize!

1 comment:

cheryl said...

That's so awesome! What a wonderful mommy you are! Thanks for sharing. ;o)
We're totally going to copy the "decorate and hang up the verse idea!"