Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Life Lesson

Something that logically or naturally follows from an action or condition.

We at The House of Halpin have learned a bit about consequences.


O received an educational LeapFrog DVD for his birthday. Oh, how he treasured this movie. Viewing time was while I hurriedly showered and got ready in the mornings. He could hardly wait until Nosy went down for his morning nap and I made the announcement: "Well, I think I'll go get clean in the shower now." "MOMMY! May I please watch my LeapFrog show now?" asked in a high, squeaky voice, accompanied by jumping around. One day, O decided he was big enough to remove the DVD from the DVD player and replace it in its case all by himself. The next time we went to watch the movie, the beloved disc was cracked, able to be played no more. Whatever were we to do?

I was not planning on replacing the movie. O should learn the finality of a broken toy. But then I was at Costco and found the coveted DVD at such a reasonable price...and O had been learning so much about letters from it. And so, weak Mommy that I am, I bought it.

It was decided that O would have to earn the DVD back through doing various chores around the house. We made a sticker chart together, topped by the verse
Eph 6:7 "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men."


I explained the three jobs (accompanied by pictures so Owen could "read" himself what was expected of him) O would have to complete to earn the movie back. I have never seen the child so motivated! He checked off those chores in no time flat and had earned the privilege of watching the DVD by my morning shower!

I see a responsibility chart in our near future!

3 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

Good job, Momma!

Chrys

The Beautiful Cagle Family said...

I was just thinking the other day at what age can you make a sticker chore chart. Savanna has asked for certain things but we want her to "earn" them. So it worked for Owen, huh, what were your 3 chores?

Rachel H said...

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question! We started out w/ these 3 chores: unload silverware from dishwasher & pu it away; put away clean socks/underpants; help me dust living room/playroom. However, O got these chores done SO FAST, I may have to make them a little more difficult next time!