Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy Half B-day to Nosy!


Sweet Nosy,
The months are flying by way too fast for your Mommy! You are so grown up, Son, and your grasp on life amazes me. At 18 months old, what a bright, sunshiny toddler you are, full of life and laughs!

Stats:
Weight: 25 pounds, 4 ounces (50%)
Height: 33 1/2 inches (80%)

You have earned the title of family clown, always attempting to make us laugh at your antics. You will toddle up with three pacis in your mouth or your shoes on your hands, giggling to yourself while just standing there, waiting for us to acknowledge you with a chuckle. You keep us all in fits of laughter!

Although your vocabulary consists of only three tiny words ("Ma-ma," "Da-DY!" and "Uh-oh"), absolutely nothing gets by you. Your comprehension level is out of this world. Sometimes, I will give you a crazy-long list of tasks to do or ask you a question embedded in a paragraph just to test your understanding. Almost always you follow the directions or answer the question with your trademark adamant head nod or negatory shake. You can somehow manage to carry on complete conversations using only your three words, sign language and pointing. Maybe that is why you only have three words! Your communication is that good without ever talking!
Our wonderful pediatrician, however, is quite concerned about your verbal skills, enough to dust off his super-intimidating book on (gulp!) autism. "Only a precaution," he said, "but I need to go over a few things just in case. He does have a few of the trademark signs..." In my limited scope, however, I have never met a less autistic child than Nosy-Posy. I'm not going to worry about it...
Your "What you talkin' about, Willis?" face

I have been so pleasantly surprised this month, Noah. I must admit that you had me a bit worried. Your personality is stubborn, your will is strong, your compulsion is to rebel. Your Daddy and I pray for godly wisdom to shape your personality and will to honor Christ. We never want to squash your amazing, God-given traits, just mold them into qualities that will be beneficial to the Kingdom of God. This month, you have become increasingly compliant! I can see in your eyes the desire to please me and obey. You respond more quickly to rebukes, and I have had to swat you much less often. I am so proud of you, Nosy, and your new-found desire to obey.

Noah, you light up my life and keep me on my toes. You play hard, challenge me endlessly, run me until I am exhausted, but your precious cuddles and kisses can instantly erase any trials of the day. Anything you do, you do to the fullest, whether it is throw a fit or hug my neck. I love that about you, Nosy. Now that I mention it, I love everything about you, Nosy.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I cannot believe he is 18months old. Where has the time gone?

cheryl said...

I feel like I can't even blink anymore. I don't know what happened to our tiny babies, but I miss them already! I love watching them learn and grow, but I so wish we could bottle up their babiness too!
Happy 1.5 Noah! You're such a precious boy.

Kara said...

I am normally a stalker and not a commenter, but I could not help it with this post. I found you through Chrys and Mike's site and love your updates. Noah is absolutely adorable and I love watching what he is up to since I have one that is not far behind! Happy One and a HALF! (I am also an SLP who works with language delayed and autistic kids and I don't think you have anything to worry about. Second kids tend to talk later, especially with big brothers a verbal as Owen! I hope I am not stepping over any bounds since you don't really know me, I just wanted to ease your mind a little. I apologize if it is unwarrented advice.) Love the dancing video as well!

carl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.