Thursday, May 15, 2008

Experimentation

O and I checked a book out of the library all about air. The concept of air was a bit confusing (understandably so!) to O. I mean, you can't see it, feel it, taste it, smell it. How does one describe air? Thankfully, the book included a hands-on experiment to demonstrate a few of the properties of air. O and I were all set to have lab time in our kitchen!

First, we dyed a big bowl full of water. After quite a bit of deliberation, O chose yellow.

Second, we stuffed a napkin all the way down in the bottom of a glass. Owie turned it upside down to make sure it would not fall out. Great job, O!


I bet you can guess what we did next! We submerged the glass in the water upside down. O was amazed that the napkin did not get wet! He was so excited! I explained that there was air in the glass keeping the water out. Then we tipped the glass just a little, letting first one tiny air bubble and then a few more escape. Pretty soon all the air had been displaced by water and our napkin was sopping wet.

What a fun time we had learning about the wonderfulness of air! I love O's enjoyment and excitement over such simple things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

R, I admire your ability to teach and make learning so very fun for your boys. - b