Monday, January 21, 2008

The Big 0-3

Three Years Old?!
Where has the time gone? You are just a baby...or so I'd like to think.


O, there is nothing baby or even toddler about you anymore. You are all grown up, big Boy, wonderful. You never cease to amaze me. The pleasure you bring to your Daddy and me just by being your sweet self is immeasurable.


Stats:
Height-39 inches (90%)
Weight-31 1/2 pounds (50%)
You are tall and skinny with six pack abs!



Your personality, although bigger and more developed just like you, has remained true to how were even as an infant. You are mostly quiet, reserved, an observer. You are very much like me, so I can relate well to your shyness and hesitancy in new situations. I can remember my parents talking to me about "letting my light shine" and allowing people to get to know me, but I never understood what they were talking about and remained in my safe shell for many years. Now, as I watch you in a room full of kids, I long for you to just let go and be your wonderful self. You are one amazing Boy with so much to offer and anyone would be blessed to know you. I am so thankful that once you become accustomed to things, you do start to open up. When you are around your fun, crazy cousins, you are much more likely to jump in the middle of the madness along with them, and at Awana Bees, you shyly answer questions and sing softly along with the songs. The funny thing is, although you are shy, you can't wait to be around kids and talk non-stop about the experience once you are back at home.

One of my favorite things about this stage is the priceless conversation that we have all day long. You offer me insight into that incredible mind of yours and I love what I see. The flip side of this is the argumentativeness that accompanies coming into your own opinions. You still readily obey most of the time, but questioning why you must do something or arguing back to me is becoming more prevalent. We are working on obeying the first time, without delay or argument.

A few funny things that you have said lately:

Dad: "Goodnight, Little Dude"
O: "Goodnight, Big Dude!"

After splashing water on your face: "See my water face?"

While playing Wii tennis, when the Wii says the score is "Deuce": "Juice? I am thirsty for some juice!"

To me while looking at my stomach: "There is a ball in there. That is why it is getting bigger!" (I must be putting on some weight!)

After tasting some cheese and crackers I had made for you: "This is the best food ever!"

"Please don't pull on the shower curtain, O." "It is not a shower curtain! It is a bath tub curtain!"

"Jesus keeps warm down in my heart!"

Your heart for God amazes me! You have memorized your first three Bible verses recently, and you hunger for more. You sing praise songs all day long and ask countless questions about God and Jesus. You love to pray and will often request that I say a prayer for people we see in need. (Ex: Whenever we see an ambulance, you ask me to pray for the sick or hurt person.) You spontaneously thank God for all sorts of little things throughout the day. Yesterday, after we were blessed with a close parking spot in the freezing cold weather, you yelled out," Thank You, Jesus, for the parking spot!"


A few character areas that we are praying about and working on together right now are respect and submission to authority. Grasping these hard concepts must be tough for a little Guy, but you are so responsive and try to understand what we expect of you the best you can . You make my heart so happy by listening and obeying. It is evident that God is molding you at such a young age. May you be a Boy after God's own heart.


You do love that Brother of yours! Sometimes he annoys you by being too affectionate with you (You can only take so many slobbery kisses!) or by wanting to play with your toys, but you genuinely love him. Sometimes, when I am in the kitchen cooking, I can hear you cheering Noah on from the other room: "I am so proud of you Nosy-Posy! You are doing a great job!" You rejoice in his accomplishments and lavish on the praise:"No-nos is standing! Great job, No-nos!" You are such a wonderful Big Brother! I can't wait to see how much closer you Boys become in the next year as Noah is able to interact with you even more!

Often heard phrases:
"Why, Mommy? Why?" said very fast and slurred together.




"Mommy?! Doing?!"




"I love you, Mommy! You are my best friend!" accompanied by wet kisses or tight neck squeezes. (I'll just tuck that away in my heart for the teenage years!)




"NOOOOOO, NOSY!" in a high pitched squeal when Noah inches towards your tempting play food.


You remain a sports fanatic. You love any sport from football to golf to soccer to rollerblading. You had such fun this year watching your cousins play sports. Hopefully it will be your turn soon! I tell you, I have had to sharpen my ball-catching, slow-pitching, racket-wielding, hoop-shooting skills just to keep up with you. Thankfully, I can learn right along with you!

You also love music (Where your musicality came from, I have no clue!), crafts, and reading. I love it that you enjoy rough and tumble, all-boy play, but then you can take a break and play quietly for awhile...while Mommy rests! You got a few games for Christmas which are such fun to play now that you can understand following rules and taking turns.

Owen, you have grown up so much this past year. What a joy you are! It delights me to see how you allow God to mold your heart into something that is pleasing to Him. Daddy and I are so proud of you and love you more every day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wondering if you could explain the pajama thing again. I remember he likes he belly out, but you often have shirt on underneath. such cuties and i love owen's relationship with christ at such a young age

cheryl said...

Rachel, you really have an amazing way at capturing so much of your boys lives in your posts.
What a precious and meaningful thing for them to go and look back on. :o)

Rachel H said...

Dear anonymous,
The low down on the pj's is this: O still wants his tummy out, but it is SO COLD! He does not want to sleep with covers, so we layer him. He sleeps in an undershirt (and sometimes thin pj pants) under fleecy pj's. That way he can still sleep with his hands on his tummy (He has slept face down w/ hands tucked under him on his tummy since he was tiny)but he has some extra warmth.

Chrys and Mike said...

sooooo sweet. what a precious boy he is.

chrys

Colleen said...

what a wonderful tribute to O. He will treasure these words forever I am sure of it. You have a beautiful way of capturing him.