Monday, September 14, 2009

The Big Reveal

Our very lengthy remodel has been done for a little while now, but I have yet to post pics. We had hired a couple of guys that work with Jeremy to do most of the work, but Jeremy pitched in to help every evening and on the weekends. He learned so much! After the guys were done with their contribution to the project, Jeremy struck out on his own to make a few more improvements.

The floors and walls were very bare for the first few weeks as I decided how I wanted to decorate, attempting to mostly use what I already had but in new ways. We still have several bare walls (but I have plans in mind!), and we hope to slowly replace our white appliances and light wood kitchen table to complete the new look.

So here is what we did:
(I use the term "we" very loosely...mostly to mean they did all the work but I got to do most of the picking out..and the cleaning up.)

I have already posted pictures of the flooring, but we put it in the entry, office, living room, kitchen and hallway...everywhere except the 3 bedrooms and the bathrooms. I love it! It's so easy to clean up after drippy little (and big!) boys. We ripped out the terra cotta tile that had been around the fireplace and replaced it with 2x2 stone tiles.

We had the light wood (oak, maple?) cabinets stripped, painted them black and then distressed the corners a bit. We also put hardware on the doors and drawers, which we have never had before. I think the handles I chose are my favorite part of the whole remodel. They are black with a distressed edge and a tiny scrolly pattern on the handle. They complement the cabinets so well.

Jeremy ripped out our backsplash (it was tan and green bathroom tiles) and tiled it himself (with Papa's help) to match the fireplace. I am so proud of him! It turned out perfectly! Jeremy's confidence in his handy man skills has grown immeasurably through this whole process.

We also stripped all the wallpaper in the kitchen and texturized it to match the rest of the house. We then painted it a very bold khaki color. I know it doesn't make much of a statement, but Jeremy and I are very neutral people.

All the baseboards were also replaced with 4 inch tall ones, painted a flat white. They look so nice and updated with the new flooring.

This is my delightful new rug from Ikea. I love it, but I was very nervous about what Jeremy would think upon seeing it. It's a bit bold for us. He actually likes it too! Yay! It's a keeper!

So that's it! I love every bit of it and find myself cleaning just for the fun of shining up my new things. (Is that vain and materialistic? Probably. But the house is staying cleaner than before!) I still can hardly believe this is my home. We are so blessed...and we can happily live here forever.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Love it all! So pretty :)

Kara said...

It is beautiful and I LOVE the backsplash and the rug! Way to go guys! I keep telling Scott that I will WANT to cook and clean in the new kitchen and he doesnt believe me, so Im glad to know it worked for you. :)

cheryl said...

Everything looks so great!
Thanks for sharing. ;o)

Deann Black said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the rug:) You did good friend!