Wednesday, May 27, 2009

One Month

Just check out that funny face, filled with mischief bubbling just below the surface. And check out that round tummy, straining against his shirt.

It has been one month since Nosy's diagnosis, and we have come so far. Noah has gained 4 1/2 pounds since that horrible day at the pediatrician. The kid eats and eats and eats, although I expect that to slow down soon, since he has gained back all he lost and then some. He is like a different child, so much more even tempered. He has energy and is such a happy boy again. And his bladder control? A mommy's dream! He is now staying dry through his nap in underwear and rarely has an accident.

I still can't believe how well Nosy's "pokes" are going. Guess what?! Between O and Noah, they basically check his blood sugar themselves. Noah climbs up on my lap, readies the poker and picks out the finger he wants checked. Meanwhile, O gets the glucometer ready for us. I line up the poker in the right area of Noah's tiny finger and Noah clicks the button. O scoops up the blood and reads me the result. It amazes me that Noah is already taking some ownership over his diabetes. I am so thankful that he will never remember life any other way. The shots are still a struggle from time to time and he has started fighting us some, but overall they go pretty well.

Jeremy and I keep waiting for Noah's sugars to become more stable, for a point where we can relax just a little. After talking to the doctors and other parents though, I am discovering that we may never reach that point. He is high one day, way too low the next. There are so many factors to consider: exercise, growth, illness, etc, that it becomes so difficult to predict things. So we are still checking his sugars at least 6 times a day, usually twice at night, and in close contact with the doctors about tweaking doses. Our family is still adjusting, mentally and physically, to the highs and lows and our expected response.

I am so thankful to the Lord for how he has sustained us through this past month. Seriously, there were times I wondered if we'd make it, and yet here we are. He is faithful and has given us just enough grace to handle each day as it comes. I am so grateful He is making a way for us. We can trust in Him.

5 comments:

Erica said...

He is so precious and I love that picture of him. I am so proud of how well he has done and how well you and Jeremy have done.

Jenny said...

that picture is just darling :)
such a sweet boy! you are doing so well with everything, I'm so glad that things are settling down for you guys!

Gigi said...

You two are just the most awesome parents and are handling this so well. Noah is a super little trouper. I know you get discouraged at times, but you are persevering. We love you all so much!

Deann Black said...

What a cute BIG boy:) It was so good to see you guys the other day! I am sooo impressed at those two boys and how they handled checking Nosy's sugar. Look how far you have come in a month...so awesome!

cheryl said...

Sweet boy! What a cute pic, and I LOVE the little belly. ;o)
All of you seem to be handling this in the best of ways, and what an inspiration to watch you leaning on Christ every step of the way!
Keep hanging in there.