Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Almost Cried Today

Anyone that has read this blog before knows that I love to cook and bake with my kids. It's one of my favorite things to do. The Boys excitedly push their chairs over to the island, and we measure and pour and stir and mix and beat...and then we lick the bowl. When Nosy was diagnosed with diabetes, I was sure this part of our lives was over. Sampling batter and taste testing baked goods does not mesh very well with diabetes. My sweet mom even bought us boxes of sugar free Jello so that we could have something to prepare together that Noah could eat.

Today, a cake baking was called for. I almost dreaded it, knowing it could not be the same. I would have to wait until nap time, since there was no way I could keep Noah's pudgy fingers out of the batter. How could I tell him "No" when we have always loved doing this as a team?

So I thought and thought and thought...and came up with a plan. I figured out how many carbs were in a tiny pile of chocolate chips, carefully counted out. I guesstimated how much cake batter might be left on a used beater. We baked the cake at Noah's designated snack time...and he was able to sample, just like old times. I just kept better track of how much he ate and limited the sampling a bit. He did not even know the difference.


I almost cried with joy at the normalcy of it all. God is so good to me, to give me moments such as these to treasure in my heart.

6 comments:

Libby said...

Yeah for normalcy (and cake batter tasting!)!!! So, so happy for you. You are a great mama.

Gigi said...

You are a great mom!

chrys said...

well, i almost cried when i read your post. :)

what a wonderful momma you are.

love that noah.

chrys

thesanders said...

You are truly amazing and ingenious.

cheryl said...

Yay! What a special mommy you are. I'm so glad for wonderful moments like that.

Colleen said...

ahhh. that's awesome! I am sure it was worth every chocolate chip counting moment!