Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ba-cation: Day 2

Today, we were off to the Ft. Worth Zoo. The anticipation in the car nearly killed us before we even got there. We tried to take our minds off of the waiting by playing hand games. Look who can now not only hook his horns, but can also communicate love!




Practice finally paid off for Owie!



Our first stop is my favorite part of the whole zoo. I could watch the chimps all day! O got quite a kick out of it!



There was a baby chimp that kept begging food off of the others. Reminded me of a tiny Boy (Noah) I know in our house! So cute!




O was fascinated with the meercats. "He is looking at me, Mommy!"



We we just in time to watch the otters be fed. Pretty exciting!



At one point, O got really excited! "Look at that pretty flower, Mommy! It's so big and pretty!" I could not figure out what he was referring to. Finally he ran over to this windmill, and started going on and on about the "flower." Pretty funny, Owen! It does look like a flower spinning in the wind. I love his perspective!



Noah finally conked off for a much-needed snooze. Boy, did we get some funny (and a few disapproving) looks for letting our kid sleep like this. He does look grossly uncomfortable, but I know that if Noah is not happy, he will let it be known. I wasn't about to disturb my sleeping beauty!



My men measure their wingspan


Big Boy!

O bonds with a baby elephant


"Is that goat's name Noah, Mommy?" queries O.

"I don't know, Honey. Why?"

"He has a tail on his chin like Noah."

WHAT?

I finally figured it out. Noah, as in Noah's ark in all of our Bible picture books, has a big, hairy beard resembling the facial hair on this mountain goat. He often also confuses Biblical Noah with Santa Clause. I guess the beard throws him off!

Feeding the birds with Daddy

So what was O's favorite part of the zoo? The zebras.

I was a little dumb-founded by this answer. The zebras didn't even acknowledge our presence in any way. We had seen otters fed, mountain lions scuffle, eagles fly, elephants toss dirt on their backs, giraffes eat leaves off a tree...but the zebras? They never even glanced our way. I asked O why the zebras ranked so high on his list. His answer: "Their stripes and their tails." Hmmm. Well, I'm glad he enjoyed them

We had so much fun! Tomorrow: rest day from our vacation. We need to stay home and recoup!