Monday, August 24, 2009

My Kindergartner

Since Plano ISD started back to school today, as did all of O's friends and cousins, we thought it fitting that we begin kindergarten for Owie and pre-school for Nosy today also. I have been lesson planning and organizing school stuff for weeks, so I was already in the zone. Jeremy and I have been talking it up to the Boys too, so they were more than ready when they bounced out of bed this morning.

This is what they found! Each kiddo had a few special things at their place, plus a back to school gift to share: a golf game they have been eyeing for weeks.

Noah got brand new crayons, his very own drawing pad, blue (his favorite color) pencils and a new book to learn the days of the week.

O got colored pencils, green mechanical pencils (his favorite color) and a new read aloud book to start. His new folders had all his worksheets for the day all ready to go.

My enthusiastic students

Being goofy

Owie is instructing Noah that he is saying "CHEEEEEEESE!" way too loudly in the house. What a subtle reminder, O!

The first day of school was fantastic! Both Boys were attentive the whole time. I think it helped that I had several activities planned where we could jump around a bit. When we had worked through all of our lessons, O asked, "Do we really get to have school every day?! YAHOO!" Neither one wanted to be done for the day. I love their zeal!


As for me, I hope my prep time gets a little shorter as the year progresses. The day went very smoothly because I was so prepared and organized, but it took me a long time to get that way. Although I have the lesson plans written out for several weeks ahead, just gathering all the worksheets and supplies, cutting pictures out of magazines, making the games they recommend we play took several hours this weekend. But the day was great and we all enjoyed it! Everyone behaved and actually learned some things. I can't wait for tomorrow!


Just for my own records:

We are using Bright Gems for His Crown by Maxine Randall and Truth and Grace Memory Book, Book 1 for Bible. All other subjects are A-Beka kindergarten. I will supplement with my own science and art from various sources.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

You are such a fun mommy :) What a great first day of school!

cheryl said...

So exciting!!! Man, I wish we lived closer...

Deann Black said...

Love the last pic:) How fun to wake up to a table full of fun surprises...shoot, I get all excited seeing a brand new box of crayons!