Friday, February 04, 2011

Arithmetic

My son and his "mathy" brain intrigue me. Each day he has a 1 minute race page of 25 addition problems. His goal is to answer as many as he can in 1 minute. He knows all the answers. However, he can never get more than 20 (usually it's closer to 15) done in the time allotted. Don't get me wrong. I am happy with 15 (After all, it's second grade math and even the teacher's manual says 15 is very good.), but O is not. So we have been working on speed in addition. After a little investigation, I now see why it takes him a little longer to answer his math problems. He takes the most circuitous route to the answer possible.

Example:
Problem 6+8=?
Owen's thought process, in his words:
"4+4=8
8+8=16
6=8-2
16-2=14
Therefore, 6+8=14
14!"

And this one:
Problem 9+3=?
"Well, 3+3+3=9
3x3=9
3x4=12
So 9+3=12."

See what I mean??
Love him.

2 comments:

cheryl said...

I hope you're preparing for Junior High now! You better start studying. ;o) That's pretty amazing!

LillaCummingsPhotography said...

impressive! I guess you expect nothing less from him ;)