Thursday, January 21, 2010

The "I Can't Believe My Baby Is FIVE" Post

Owie? Five?! I can't believe it. And yet as I spend each day with you, having little boy conversations and playing little boy games, I can see how grown up you have become. You are smart and witty and bright and challenging. You are big and wonderful.

At your five year check-up you were 36 pounds (50%) and 41.5 inches (80%). You are tall and skinny and do not seem like you would be in the 50th percentile for weight. Your ribs and hips protrude and you have very defined six pack abs. You are just too busy too be bothered to eat much. You are all lean muscle.

You love to learn, but you do not enjoy school that much. I have found that if we are studying a topic (the Olympics, Asia, coins, etc.), you will write about it, read about it, do math problems about it endlessly. It is the organized school worksheets that bore you. So we muddle through the worksheets the best we can until we get to your favorite part of school, topic study, and that is when you light up and become so enthusiastic. You are reading well and experimenting with double digit addition. It is one of my greatest joys in life to watch you learn and apply knowledge. You are one smart kiddo and keep me on my toes! I feel so privileged to be able to learn alongside you and try every day to soak in this time with you and not take one minute of it for granted.


You love all sports, especially football and soccer. You are really getting into Legos and follow the direction booklet with precision. You love to draw and color and be read too. You are quite the young musician. You love to drum and sing and play on your piano keyboard. You fill our house with happy songs! It is always fun to play pretend, and you and Nosy dream up some very involved games.


Speaking of Nosy...what a great big brother you are! You are so encouraging to him and cheer him on when he learns new things. What joy it brings me to hear you exclaim, "Great job, Nosy! You did it!" He basks in your praise. You play so great together...most of the time. It is more and more often that your nice games come to blows or friendly wrestling becomes a little more violent. I guess it is all part of having boys in the house. But you are quick to apologize and always feel remorseful when you hurt little brother.

You are so excited about the new baby too, and ask about him often. You tell me all the things you can't wait to do with him and show him.

I could not ask for a better biggest brother for our family. You are loving and caring and compassionate and think about others. You are such a great example for the smaller guys!

You are sensitive and shy and so much like me. I can see how much you want to be a part of the group, but it is a struggle for you. You are growing up in that area too though, as you make friends on your soccer team and practice talking to adults while looking in their eyes. It does not come easily to you, but I am so proud of you for working on it!

Your love for the Lord convicts me. So often when we are facing a problem in our day, your first reaction is to pray about it. You go to Him first if we are lost or need wisdom about something. What an example you set for me, O. God is always at the forefront of your mind, and talk of Him is natural for you. You soak up the Bible stories we read you and can't wait to answer the questions we ask at the end of the story. You love to sing God's praises and your very favorite song is "Amazing Grace."


I will say that the last few months have been our most challenging mother-son months yet. You are growing up, and blind obedience does not come as easily to you as it used to. You question me and talk back and try your own way...and often suffer some consequences for doing so. I am so excited to watch you growing bigger and developing a mind of your own, but I still expect you to obey. I know that you are just testing the limits, but sometimes you wear this Mommy out!

Owen, you are my treasure and such a joy. Even when we struggle, I love being around you. You make me so proud, just by being who you are. I love you, Owie.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Sweet post. You are so good with words. 36 pounds??? That just doesn't seem right.

Erica said...

I am meaning he seems bigger than that, not smaller! :)

Chrys and Mike said...

Love this. Beautiful pics of that wonderful boy.

Chrys

cheryl said...

Another precious post.
Where does the time fly to? Can't believe my big girl is almost 5 too. It just sounds so BIG!