Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Episode 10 (15 weeks): Gender Identification

A rather amusing story to lighten the mood:
Jeremy and I were determined not to find out the gender of our problematic bundle of joy. How amazing the surprise will be! How fun to keep everyone, including ourselves, guessing! Our family had already had a boy, girls, twins, but no one had kept the gender a surprise. We could be a first "something"!

However, as it became apparent that we would be peeking into our little one's world once or twice a week for (hopefully) a very long time, it seemed the possibility of keeping it a surprise was a bit naive. Eventually, it would become pretty clear to us what color layette we should be dreaming about.

So, when asked at our 15 week sonogram if we would like to know the sex of the baby, we both hesitated. Maybe we should just give in now and get a bit of great news for once? As the sono tech flashed over my belly while we debated, I could clearly see "that area." (This is where the rather amusing part of the story begins.)


"Oh! I exclaimed. "I already saw the baby's bottom! I already know what it is, so you might as well know too, Jeremy."

After ensuring that we both wanted to know the gender, the tech asked what I thought the baby was.

With attitude and all, I replied definitively, "It's a GIRL! I know it's a girl!" (I had seen my fair share of sonos, people. I thought I knew what I was talking about!)

The tech just rolled her eyes, and patiently typed, "BOY," on the screen.

After I got over feeling like an absolute fool I gazed into Jeremy's watery eyes and just let it all soak in.

A Boy? A boy. A son. Can you even believe it?! A SON! We have a son. All we have been through and so much unknown yet to come is all because of our fearfully and wonderfully made, absolutely perfect Son. Thank You, God. A son...


So now came the most fun thing since telling our family I was pregnant. Telling our family that it's a BOY!

After a quick phone call to my sister and BFF DeAnn (coincidentally pregnant with twin boys!), we headed out the waiting room where my sister-in-law, Erica, just happened to be waiting to see my wonderful ob herself. As I waited in line to check out, Jeremy casually sauntered over (trying to mask all of his manly pride!) and held out the revealing sono picture. Erica immediately started crying, so thrilled for us that we had a son. Being the mother of a tiny boy herself, she knew the joys he would bring.

We told my parents next, since my Dad had driven me to my appointment. Both of my parents were a little dumbfounded and speechless at first. They had assumed the baby would be a girl, since they had produced two girls. Not sure what to do with a tiny, rambunctious Boy, they began collecting bits of blue and bouncy balls almost immediately. Their excitement only mounted as they anticipated days full of creek wading, Lego building and ball rolling. Our tiny Boy already occupied such a large chunk of their hearts!

That evening, after everyone was home from work, we invited Jeremy's parents over to watch the sono video with us. We provided no information, just let the video unfold. As we all cozied up on my bed where I was tucked in and keeping still (the bleeding was super bad since I had been up and around for the appointment), we could hardly contain our excitement. Finally, we got to the part of the video when the tech typed "Boy." There was a collective gasp and then claps and cheers all around. They were thrilled to be adding a second grandson to the family.

So here is our little guy's profile at 15 weeks gestation. Beautiful!

In other health news, nothing much had changed. Still bleeding; still carrying around an enormous blood clot; still just praying and waiting. But now, at least I know exactly who I am praying for. Tiny Boy Halpin. And oh how I love him!

3 comments:

Erica said...

I have tears at this moment thinking back at that time. It seems like yesterday. How incredible it is to be on the other side of it now and seeing how wonderful and amazing that little boy is!!

cheryl said...

I was just thinking after your post about O reading today, how amazingly far he's come in 3.5 years! No one would ever know how his life started in such a rough and scary way.
Praise God!!!

Chrys and Mike said...

love it. love that BOY!

laughing that you thought he was a girl. so cute.

chrys