Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Episode 6: The Purple Pill and Things Are Looking Up!

Two weeks later, now a whopping 12 weeks preggers (Do I hear a hoo-ha for making it through the first trimester?!), things were looking up. After losing five more pounds and a barrage of yucky tests, I was diagnosed with a gastric ulcer provoked by pregnancy hormones. Thus began my love affair with a miraculous purple pill: Nexium. Double the normal dose and a week or two later, and I was a whole new woman!

I was feeling so relieved, physically and emotionally, having made it past the normal range of usual miscarriages. Now that I was feeling better, I anticipated that bedrest would become more of a sacrifice than it had been. But more great news! At my 12 week ob appointment, my beloved doctor released me to have more light outings. Nothing huge and not every day, but maybe I could sit quietly at the movies or go to my Mom's house for dinner. I followed directions to the tee by meeting the Halpin side of the fam girls to catch a movie and a few days later warming my Mom's couch to enjoy a family dinner. Oh, thank you, Lord. I loved being up and about a bit with more to look forward to than the next episode of Dawson's Creek.

No comments: